These days we hear a lot of how suicide is being committed amidst the youth. What causes this? Why will someone end his/her life when it hasn’t even started? A life that has not reached its peak or climax would just be ended abruptly.
Part of the reasons for suicide has been attributed to “depression”.
What is this depression?
Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines it as “a pressing down: lowering, a state of feeling sad: dejection, a psychoneurotic or psychotic disorder marked especially by sadness, inactivity, difficulty in thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feelings of dejection and hopelessness, and sometimes suicidal tendencies.
So, what causes depression? Since, depression is marked by the lowness of spirits.
What then makes our spirits low?
- For most people, it is the loss of a loved one. Either a parent, spouse, partner or friend. Most have been around in times of difficulty of the patient or have helped the person all through the cause of their life. The feeling of being left alone to fend without a strong support system is hard to think on and thus, depression.
- For some others, it is the absence of desired wants or needs. The needs of man are insatiable. Man will always try to get what he wants. A little taste of that thing keeps fueling the drive. But, when one keeps trying and expending efforts without result depression occurs. Strongly responsible for this factor is money.
- Failure is also another factor. Failing academically or unsuccessful relationships necessitate depression fast. This two conditions have both contributed to the high rate of suicide among today’s youth. The story was told of a final year student in the University of Ilorin who committed suicide after failing to graduate for two years. Many females also end up taking their lives after being jilted by their lover
- Loss of one’s source of income is another factor
Many people have also ascribed spiritual causes to it. A young girl of 12 took her own life with a sponge in the bathroom. Till date no one knows what the cause is. This was attributed to spiritual forces. But, no one knows what could have been said to the girl. At times, suicide and depression is caused by ill or negative speaking to a person. Our emotional capability and tolerance levels differ. What is send to a person and is taken lightly, another person will take it to another level of seriousness.
Also Read: WHEN THE FRUSTRATION COMES…
A history of violence either being robbed or raped, kidnapped, broken home also contributes its quota to depression.
- Don’t keep your problems to yourself, talk to someone.
- Watch what you say to people. Mind the way you speak.
- Don’t take everything you hear seriously.
- Let’s be responsible for those around us. Encourage someone through their difficulty.
- Get professional help.
Remember, life is not your own.
A Drop of Honey for Your Day…